Monday, June 14, 2010

EYES OF AN ATHEIST

Oh Lord I pray! I sincerely pray!
That I can discern what other Christian’s say
But not by going to others, or checking doctrinal lists
I pray you give me the eyes of an atheist

They see all the garbage performed in God’s name
They see suck-ups, status and thirst for money and fame
They see the church show is pointless and gave it the miss
I pray you give me the eyes of an atheist

They were right when they said that the church acts all funny
Using manipulation and charm to give up our money
They’re cluey and smart and know the entire gist
God give me the eyes of an atheist!

They told me what would happen if I kept seeing what I want
They were right; I was blinded by the speakers at the front
But my non-believing friends ‘prophecies’ were legit
So please give me the eyes of an atheist

I suppose I’m in a culture where you can’t be fully real
Or honestly express the way you truly feel
With words and meanings lost, you don’t know how to resist
God give me the eyes of an atheist

They see a reality in a way that I can’t describe
They know manipulation and how to transcribe
What the leadership teach with the words they twist
Please give me the eyes of an atheist!

They don’t fall for the game, the flattery or snare
In fact they’re guarded and see the church as a lair
It could be Pentecostal, Charismatic, Catholic or Baptist
But Lord give me the eyes of an atheist!

Dear Jesus I didn’t see you do this in your time and place;
Control your believers and deny them God’s grace
You enjoyed the diversity, went to parties and feasts
Dare I say you had the eyes of an atheist

You were so unpredictable and doubted the teachings
Of what the leaders and Pharisees often were preaching
Like non-believers You’re invited once and (dare I say) You desist
Did you really have the eyes of an atheist?

I suppose I’ve settled for a Jesus that serves me
And I’m immersed in a culture where everyone deserves me
But I’m over the façade please hear my hearts request
Please give me the eyes of an atheist!

I’ve often sung ‘I was lost, but now I see’
But I’ve found church culture makes me blind as can be
I need to break from the leaders whose lies I often hiss
And learn to discover my eyes of an atheist!

For I’ve seen now that I’ve come into the light
What we’re told to believe is not often right
I must believe what is true, doubt the lies that exist
Thank you God! I’ve always had the eyes of an atheist!

The church door’s forever now my common friend
I pass through it freely every now and again
I’m free now to rely on others, I’m free now to subsist
I’m free in Christ because I always had the eyes of an atheist!


© 1pm 28/4/2010 Words By Jake Elliot, All Rights Reserved, (Registered With APRA)

No comments:

Post a Comment